Monday, March 1, 2010

Dinner Tonight!

I start EARLY in the day with the questions women all over the world say to themselves each and every day "What's for dinner tonight?"! When my children were young, oh, it was exhausting thinking of all the effort that went into meal planning and preparation, mainly because I almost always took the kids to the grocery store with me to shop and at one point my kids would have been, say, ages 4, 5, 6, and 1 year old! Ah, yes, I was very busy!
Nowadays, the "little ones" are 28, 27, 26 and 21 so mealtime is much simpler because only the youngest lives at home, but now I work full-time instead of being a stay-at-home mom, so I have to still deal with the question of either cooking or going out for a meal.
I get tired of eating out. I do. The food is bad for you almost always, not that great, and tends to be the same stuff everytime. Boring!
So this morning, I start my day off with checking my inbox, and what do I see but this...
Dinner Tonight Quick Recipes in under an Hour.
The housewife's dream meal!
The meal was pictured as this...


from Martha Stewart, of course!
Looks Yummy...
I can tell you, it is!


I ran to the grocery store between captioning my shows to get the ingredients. My daughter glanced at the recipe and said, what's bulgur?
I said I'm not sure, I think it is a type of rice.
Good Luck finding that, she said!
Well, I did have problems finding it, nope, not in the rice aisle.
I thought, hmmm, should I ask this teenager that works here, he probably won't know, but oh, well, he's available!
No, he had never heard of the word bulgur.
It took a manager to answer the question. It's in with the flour section, he said.
Flour, I said?
yep, there it was...
           The manager had never tried it before either.
Let me know if it's good, he said.
So, what is Bulgur?
the bag says in part...
Whole Grain Bulgur Wheat is absolutely delicious, nutritious, and easy to prepare.
Made from the finest whole grain red wheat that has been
parboiled, dried, and ground, it cooks quickly and may be used in a wide variety of dishes.
Bulgur is low in fat and has a mild, nutty flavor.
It is also a great source of dietary fiber and protein.
It's true.
1/4 cup dry is only 140 calories
5 calories from fat
total fat 0.5
and fiber 7 grams
That's a Weight Watcher's dream dish!
It was delish and nutty, and I searched another recipe too
for later this week using bulgur...
I need to explore more items in the grocery store
this recipe has shown that to me!
And the chicken was darned delish too with
just a bit of Orange Marmalade!
Thanks, Martha!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean when you have small children (I had 5) and there was never a favorite meal (except spaghetti), because at least one of them didn't like what I was cooking. That bulgur sounds interesting--my husband would hate it, but I'd like to try it. If you make more recipes with it, let us know.

    ReplyDelete